It’s important for caretakers to pay attention to the safety of their elderly charge when lifting them out of bed. Lifting an elderly person is never a task to be taken lightly and should always be done with caution and consideration. Here are some tips on how best to lift an elderly person from bed, as well as what you can do if your elderly charge is resistant to being lifted:
When lifting an elderly person from bed, be sure to use proper body mechanics. This means keeping the spine in alignment, using your leg muscles to do the lifting, and avoiding any sudden jerking motions. Always lift with your legs, not your back.
Always use proper body mechanics when lifting someone
When lifting an elderly person out of bed, it is important to use proper body mechanics. This will help protect both you and the person you are lifting from injury. Here are a few tips on how to do this safely:
1. Get close to the person you are lifting, and use your legs to squat down, rather than bending over at the waist.
2. Place your hands under the person’s armpits, and use your arms and legs to lift them straight up into a sitting position.
3. Once they are sitting, help them swing their legs over the edge of the bed so they can stand up.
4. Finally, assist them in standing up by holding onto their arm or waist as they get to their feet.
Using proper body mechanics when lifting an elderly person is important in order to avoid injury. By following these simple tips, you can help ensure a safe and successful lift.
Get help from another person if possible
If possible, it is always best to have another person help you when lifting an elderly person. This will provide extra support and make the lift safer and easier. If you are unable to find someone to help, be sure to use proper body mechanics yourself to avoid injury.
Lift using your legs, not your back
When lifting someone, it is important to use your legs to do the majority of the work. This will help protect your back from injury. When lifting an elderly person, it is especially important to use proper body mechanics in order to avoid hurting yourself or the person you are lifting. By using your legs to squat down and lift the person straight up, you can help ensure a safe and successful lift.
Get close to the person you are lifting
When lifting an elderly person out of bed, it is important to get close to them before beginning the lift. This will give you more control and make the lift easier. It is also a good idea to place your hands under their armpits before lifting, as this will give you a better grip and help to avoid injury.
Utilize any medical equipment like adjustable beds
If you are looking for a way to make lifting an elderly person out of bed easier, you may want to consider using medical equipment like adjustable beds. Adjustable beds can be ordered by a doctor and covered by Medicare, making them a great option for those who need assistance with this task. Utilizing an adjustable bed can help to make the lifting process easier and safer for both you and the elderly person.
How to get an Adjustable Bed With Medicare?
There are a few ways to get an adjustable bed through Medicare. One way is to have a doctor prescribe the bed as a medical necessity. Another way is to have a doctor certify that you need the bed because of a medical condition. If you fall into either of these categories, Medicare will cover 80% of the cost of the adjustable bed. You will be responsible for the remaining 20%.
If you do not have a doctor who can prescribe or certify that you need an adjustable bed, you can still get coverage through Medicare. You will need to have a letter from your doctor explaining why an adjustable bed is medically necessary for your particular situation. This letter must be on letterhead and include your doctor’s signature. Additionally, you will need to complete and submit a Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Coverage Determination Request form.
Contact The Mair Agency
If you need help acquiring an adjustable bed contact The Mair Agency today! our knowledgable experts can help you with getting the medical equipment necessary to help the elderly get out of bed safely.