Blue-to-Blue gives every Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) Medicare Supplement member the freedom to switch from one of our current Medicare Supplement plans to another – no underwriting required.* Members can switch plans at designated times throughout the year. So, current members can always be sure to have the Medicare Supplement plan that best suits their needs and budget. If you have any questions about Blue Cross NC Blue-to-Blue Medicare Supplement Plans for 2019 please contact The Mair Agency today.
With Blue Cross NC, your customers have the freedom to save significantly on premiums over the years. Just take a look at the example below. While the competitive plan offers lower premiums to start, over the course of 15 years, the Blue Cross NC plan will save a customer more than $9,700.** Thanks to Blue-to-Blue, members can switch to a more economical plan or a plan offering benefits that better fit their needs. And they can do so without new underwriting.
2017 Blue-to-Blue Information
Effective October 15, 2017, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) will begin accepting Blue-to-Blue Medicare Supplement plan changes for members who wish to make a plan change effective January 1, 2018. Therefore, you have an additional opportunity each year to utilize the Blue-to-Blue rule.
About the Blue-to-Blue rule
- This is one of the key Blue Medicare Supplement selling points.
- This rule allows members on a current Medicare Supplement plan to change plans without
underwriting during renewal (the month of May) for a June 1 effective date.
- The rule will now be available for a January 1 effective date.
Why we made this change
We received feedback from recent agent meetings to expand the Blue-to-Blue rule for January 1 effective dates.
Since this corresponds with the Medicare Advantage Annual Election Period when members shop for their plans and make needed changes to remain a Blue Cross NC member, we felt that this change was appropriate moving forward.
Below, we’ve listed the applicable rules for members that wish to make a plan change effective January 1, 2018. These changes mirror the rules already in place for renewals in the month of May.
- Must be an active Blue Medicare Supplement member. (Current Blue Medicare Advantage members still have access to use the Blue-to-Blue rule to enroll in a Blue Medicare Supplement plan without underwriting.)
- Changes must be received between October 15, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
- Members can elect to move up or down in plans as they deem necessary without underwriting.
- Plan changes must be submitted through PABOL.
If you have additional questions, please contact The Mair Agency today.